FG 和 SC 項目
Foster Grandparent and Senior Companion Programs
(A volunteer program)
We are an AmeriCorps Seniors grantee and receive funds through their Foster Grandparent Program.
The Foster Grandparent and Senior Companion Programs have been active at the San Andreas Regional Center since 2008. The Programs are funded through AmeriCorps and the California Department of Developmental Services (DDS).
The Foster Grandparent and Senior Companion Programs are a program where senior volunteers are paired with individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities who are currently receiving services from the San Andreas Regional Center.
If a volunteer prefers supporting children, they will be in classroom settings in the school districts under the Foster Grandparent Program (FGP). Foster Grandparents typically help with communication, math, reading, and writing. In addition, they may help with classroom activities, modeling following rules and routines, and providing positive encouragement/redirection.
If a volunteer prefers supporting adults, they will be in residential care homes or day programs under the Senior Companion Program (SCP). Senior Companions provide companionship and emotional support while promoting inclusion. They may also model rules, routines, social etiquette, and use of materials.
The volunteer does not need to have any formal education or experience working with individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. The volunteer will be paired with up to 2 individuals by the Site Supervisor, who will train the volunteer on how best to support the individual(s) assigned.
- At least 55 years old
- Are low income (based on AmeriCorps Seniors income eligibility levels)
- Be willing to complete background checks, a physical & a TB test (paid for by the programs)
- Be willing to volunteer at least 5 hours/week (but can volunteer up to 40 hours/week; volunteer hours are generally Monday-Friday between 8am-3pm)
The programs do their best to find a site that is closest to a volunteer’s home. If the volunteer drives, the route would be up to 15 minutes one-way. If the volunteer takes public transportation, the route will be up to 40 minutes one-way.
Benefits for the volunteer
- Tax-free hourly stipend (as of 04/01/23, it is $4/hour)
- Tax free, daily meal and travel allowance (as of 07/01/23, it is $12/day)
- Paid holidays and accrued annual leave
- Recognition events throughout the year
- Opportunities to meet others and socialize
- Giving back to your community through service
- Complete an application (FGP/SC申請)
- Complete an interview
- Complete the background checks, a physical & TB test
- Complete the 20-hour pre-service orientation
For any questions regarding the Foster Grandparent and Senior Companion Programs, please reach out to the Program Manager, Lauria Furuya, at (408) 341-3581 or firstname.lastname@example.org.